CUPE claims that the province has refused to invest in the programs that students require. The union gives notice of five days.
The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) has issued another strike notice. Thus, with employees in the education sector preparing to walk off the job in Ontario. According to both the minister of education and the union.
In a statement issued Wednesday morning. Stephen Lecce said since talks resumed just a couple of days ago. His province has made several proposals that could add “hundreds of million dollars in the industry. Especially, for the lower-income people.” Still, CUPE has so far refused the proposals.
“I consider it to be completely insensitive to the children. It’s ineffective,” Lecce said, interviewing journalists in Queen’s Park. “We ought to have these discussions with our representatives at the table. Specifically, to negotiate the best deal for both the union members as well as for our children. We are all disappointed by the direction the union has chosen to take.
“But the government is going to remain determined. Apart from this, remain on the table to negotiate an agreement. Especially, when we know that we’ve presented the best option, with more money — a major increase in the amount. Furthermore, hundreds of millions higher for those with lower incomes.”
According To A Wednesday Press Release:
In a press release on Wednesday morning. A possible province-wide strike indicated to the educators as CUPE announced. A strike which could begin in just five days.
The statement states that the CUPE’s Ontario School Boards Council of Unions (OSBCU) central bargaining committee was able to come to a middle-ground with the provincial government on wages. Yet, it alleges that this government “refused to fund the necessary services students require and parents demand, triggering this increase.”
According to the document, Laura Walton, president of the CUPE’s Ontario School Board Council of Unions, stated that the union’s focus is on increasing the number of jobs available to educators and improving student services.
Province offers 3.59 percent raise, but the union claims:
In a press event later on Wednesday, Walton told reporters the province is offering workers a raise of $1/hour for every year under the collective agreement, which would be a 3.59 percent increase.
“Let me say it straight; this is a win for workers. However, it’s not enough,” she added. The main issue in the talks, Walton said, is that the province has refused to fund new student services.
CUPE stated that it is seeking assurances of a greater staffing level for educational assistants, custodians, librarians, secretaries, and an early childhood educator in each kindergarten classroom, and not only classes with at least 15 students.
“A wage increase won’t do much when you’re about to lose work,” Walton said. “Wage increase won’t be able to be helpful if you have school boards who are looking for ways to eliminate individuals. If your work hours are cut, a wage increasing isn’t helping.”
The province’s most recent proposal, CUPE said, would give a wage rise across the board and not just for the lowest-paid workers in the industry. Previous government offers included more raises for those who earn less than $40,000. However, CUPE was dissatisfied with two-tiered raises.
Lecce stated that the most recent wage agreement is expected to be $335 million spread over four years. The province has not requested any concessions in exchange.
“We can have five more days until the strike notice expires. This is five days to allow this government to appreciate the chance they have to improve the life of 2 million Ontario learners,” Walton told reporters. “Five days, and then education professionals, parents and all ally who cares about children and the public education system in Ontario will have their voices heard.
“Come to the next meeting with an offer that assists students in catching up.”
Repeal of controversial legislation:
The province passed a previous law called Bill 28 on Nov. 3 to stop 55,000 CUPE employees from striking.
However, thousands of employees, including educators, librarians, and custodians, quit their job earlier in the month; this led to the closure of numerous schools in the province to on-site studying for two whole days.
The week before, President Doug Ford offered to withdraw the law if CUPE members returned to work; this was what they did.
At the beginning of Monday is what it was later repeated.
Asked by reporters on Wednesday about whether there was any legislation on back-to-work being considered, Lecce repeated that the province would continue to be in the bargaining room.
The minister of education told reporters that the mediator in the talks had requested both sides to provide the discretion, which means he can not provide any specifics -however, he stated that the latest provincial offer contained pay increases for all employees and the highest increase for the union’s most underpaid members.
During Wednesday’s media conference, Mark Hancock, national president of CUPE, said that not one of the union’s members wants to go on strike.
“Going to strike is our final option, and it’s not something we do for granted,” He said. “Our members prefer working in schools to help students excel in their classes rather than occupying a line of protest.”
TDSB to shut down schools in case of strike:
The Toronto District School Board says it will shut down its schools to allow learning on Monday in person if there is a strike by the Canadian Union of Public Employees strikes.
A report on labour on Wednesday, sent to parents, guardians, caregivers, and students in the TDSB, expressed its hope that the union and the Ontario government can agree by Monday. Still, it will have to suspend schools for safety reasons. Forced to leave their jobs, ironically are the education workers.
For the sake of learning-in-person only. Thus, is what the Toronto School boards will be closed for. Obviously, if the CUPE strike continues as usual. The board of directors says
“Student security and supervision are our primary priority, and without the vital services provided by nearly 15,000 CUPE employees, we are unable to ensure that our learning spaces are safe and tidy in the interests of all pupils,” TDSB said in the update. TDSB said in its latest update.